Friday, March 21, 2008

Remembrance

I am an old man, but in many senses a very young man. And this is what I want you to be, young, young all your life. Pablo Casals.

Good advice, especially on the day I attended a funeral. I'm thinking, Frank Sinatra, Young at Heart.

What was really inspiring about the service, was how the mourners were so into the pastor's remarks and so carried away by his positive messages. The basic idea was that this was Chapter One for the departed and the mourners alike.

I don't think you have to believe to be able to see it that way. You only had to know John a little, to know he saw it that way.

The pastor gave permission for people to be distraught, to cry and mourn. Most important, he gave them permission to move on. He pointed out, aptly, that John would have wanted it that way.

The pastor also talked about how John touched everyone he met in a special and positive way. It makes me realize again how important and meaningful it is to reach out to people in even the smallest ways. There were a lot of people there to say goodbye. There was a lot of love in that room.

You'll be missed, and remembered.

No comments: