Saturday, October 4, 2008

Raindrops Keep Falling



I try to stay away from religion and politics in this blog. It’s difficult with everything going on today, but probably sensible. Current events not falling into one of those categories are okay and I just had to say something about Paul Newman’s death, even though everyone else in the universe has, as well. Talk about a dark day.

There are many of us who grew up in the greater New York metro area spending hour upon hour, many a rainy afternoon, with Million Dollar Movie. To us, the movie stars of the 50s and 60s were as familiar as the boy next door. And I surely loved them as much. Well in truth, probably more. Paul Newman, though, with his longevity, is almost in a class by himself. I have to put him right up there with Cary Grant. Intelligent, sexy and often mysterious, along with many others, they created images of what men were supposed to be. Woe to the men in my life. There’s a lot to measure up to there.

One of the things I love about Paul Newman is the irreverence in many of his characters. But it always came along with a heavy dose of goodness and caring about others. I can’t recall if he’s ever played a real bad guy. Okay, the NY Times tells me he did in Road to Perdition. Maybe a few more. Certainly some bad boys, but they were usually good at the core. And in life he was a humanitarian, giving back in so many ways.

I can actually remember more than a dozen movies without googling. I’ve always had heartfelt thanks for those brave souls that put themselves out there in order to entertain us. Yeah, I know a lot of them get paid an awful lot, but not all, and definitely not for as long as Newman. It’s hard to have staying power in that business. So many must be in the same situation as the rest of the country, seeing their retirement savings dwindling. But I’m digressing.

So this is a small homage to the hombre. Without resorting to google, I can say my favorite Paul Newman flick is Butch Cassidy. With gratitude I’m planning to spend some serious time reviewing the films, just to remember and honor all he gave, in my small way.

May the raindrops keep falling on your head.

No comments: